Click Me!

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Endorphin Effect

After almost two weeks of not lacing up my running shoes, I finally got the chance to burn those pent up (or more aptly, spent) energy at the gym last weekend. I was only able to log 8 Kms, a small feat, considering I should be training for longer runs in time for KOTR or New Balance's half marathon. For now, I'm still undecided if it's a 10 or 21 Km in the Adidas run. Nevertheless, this was one of my enjoyable runs. Absence really does make the heart grow fonder.

I started with an easy pace then proceeded with bursts of 1-minute speed intervals, during which I probably hit my peak, or as some would say, the runner's high*. So, what usually happens during a runner's high anyway?

I guess the feeling differs for every person. Me? I may just have this teeny, tiny tendency of smiling myself silly while running alone, as was recently discovered when a total stranger, just a few machines away from me, smiled and waved back. Okaaaay, wha-? Oh God, did he just think I was hitting on him?!! In which I was suddenly aware that I did feel the corners of my mouth curve into a nice, big smile beforehand. Come to think of it, I vaguely remember a semi-laugh escape my lips as I exhaled. I couldn't help it, it just came naturally. As if my face wasn't red enough from the run— How em-ba-ras-sing!

Blame it on the rush of endorphins to my head, which was magnified by the Samba-themed playlist plugged into my ears; which made me think of lazy afternoons by the beach; which made me think of tanning oils and beads of sweat; which made me think of luscious, icy mango margaritas... You get the drift.

At the end of the day, I'm simply ecstatic that I got to run AND learn that I had a few pick-up tricks hidden up my sleeve that might just actually work! ;)


*Runner's High. Said to resemble a feeling of intense euphoria, these biochemicals in the brain are released and could actually alter an athlete’s mood. These chemicals are called endorphins, the brain’s naturally occurring opiates.


2 comments:

  1. oh my god. kaya ka nasasabihan ng "i love U2. Mahal kita" and getting kisses from strange people!!! you inadvertently smile at them! now i know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, Chach, dancing and running apparently has the same effect!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails